Tuesday, March 17, 2015

powder room makeover.

When we first moved in, our powder room was an eye sore to say the least!  It was painted an "in your face" bright red and was a mix match of wood tones and white washed bead board.  But the pièce de résistance was the 1980's wooden seat, bisque colored toilet!  For some people that may be the look you're going for but it certainly wasn't ours.  So first thing we did when we moved in was paint over that awful color with Benjamin Moores Revere Pewter (same color we painted the kitchen).  Next up painting the oak color wood window trim white and painting over the bead board so that it was white-white.  We also removed the old mirror/cabinet and replaced it with an updated mirror.  I will say that the one thing we did that made a huge difference was to change out the toilet for a nice "top hat" toilet from Lowes (who knew one could get so happy about a toilet).  Mikey has really become quite the plumber as he has replaced 3 out of the 4 toilets in our house with upgraded white ones (yay! love my handyman! <3).  After those changes we kind of put the powder room on hold for about...oh 16 months until this Winter when we got into the DIY spirit again.  I knew all along that I wanted to makeover the 1980's "builders grade" vanity and just decorate in general, but I was waiting for some inspiration.  Enter these Ahh-mazing shelves off Pinterest  diy-restoration-hardware-inspired-shelving.  I was hooked and knew that I wanted these for the powder room.  We basically followed the instructions to a tee and I couldn't be more pleased with the result.  That got the ball started and I took off from there.  I painted the vanity Black Bean by Sherwin Williams and Mikey added new shiny hardware to kick it up a notch.  We then replaced the old vanity top with a new granite top that we found at Lowes.  Added a rug, a few nicknacks and photo's and voila! Our new powder room! I love it and couldn't be happier. 

Before Photos (before we moved in):





After!











1 comment: